Total Topics: 25
Most Online Today: 43
Most Online Ever: 376
(December 09, 2019, 05:28:33 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42

Author Topic: Scatch that... Update.. LOL  (Read 3572 times)

x_slacks

• Slack: +11/-1
  • UBERGAWD
    • View Profile
Scatch that... Update.. LOL
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
Ok...  So after further testnetting, we need to focus on converting the blockchain to SegWit by itself.  If we try to do a hard fork(ie PoW change or X-Folding) on top of the SegWit switchover, all 0.10 clients will get knocked off the chain, and the 0.16 clients wonʻt be able to fully function until SegWit is fully activated, which is ~6000 blocks, depending upon which block 0.16 mining starts.

1. There are two ways this can be done. The first is soft forking, no changes, just the 0.16 update to allow SegWit activation.  Which will take ~6000 blocks as noted before.  This may actually leave 0.10 and Android clients somewhat functioning for the time being.  0.16 clients will still not be able to transact until segwit is fully activated.  Legacy mode command line witchery is supposed to make it work, but that is buggy.  In this case, I would try to keep Dobbscoin unlisted for the time being, especially during the switchover to segwit.

2. The other is hard forking, speed blocking through SegWit activation with a low diff, and doing whatever changes you want.

I vote #1.  With the X-Day window, no hard fork, about all you could do is a name change...

Iʻm going to clean up what I had.  Make is purely 0.16 update.  No other changes, which shouldnʻt stop 0.10 and Androidʻs ability to transact.

I really hope nobody is storing large amounts on coin an Android device.   Android is for like, paying for your coffee, not cold storage.  Any hard forking changes and Android breaks.

A little more on that situation.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0142.mediawiki

Weʻre not forgetting about X-Folding, PoW change or PoS, or whatever else.  Cause we still have the coin supply issue.  And still dance around with dangerously low hash for Scrypt.  How has the Dobbshield done at 2 minutes?  Has it seen its share of hash rape and lock ups, or has it fared fairly well?  If we X-Fold and get relisted, Dobbshield will get flexed, unless it becomes a top Scrypt coin.

So, X-Folding is Easy.  PoW change still needs a little cleaning up, but is for the most part coded out.  But right now, or maybe whenever you all feel ready, SegWit activation needs to be stepped through before tackling any hard forking changes, or we break more stuff than we should right now.

skammie

• Slack: +2/-0
  • PINK BOY
    • View Profile
Re: Scatch that... Update.. LOL
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
How has the Dobbshield done at 2 minutes?  Has it seen its share of hash rape and lock ups, or has it fared fairly well?  If we X-Fold and get relisted, Dobbshield will get flexed, unless it becomes a top Scrypt coin.

On the home pool there were a ton of orphans because it 'forked or some shit'  :).  Most everyone hopped over to mining-dutch to get their miners back on the 'correct' chain.  I think the fuckup happened when mining-dutch still had "BOB" in their mining rotation setup, and a whole heap of hash got thrown at the chain.  Fast-forward to now and here we are.

As I understand it, you are updating the wallet from 0.10 to 0.16, cleaned (cleaning?) up the code for the update, and this is still scyrpt for the time being.  Correct?  The algo change or whatever comes later?

x_slacks

• Slack: +11/-1
  • UBERGAWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »
On the home pool there were a ton of orphans because it 'forked or some shit'  :).  Most everyone hopped over to mining-dutch to get their miners back on the 'correct' chain.  I think the fuckup happened when mining-dutch still had "BOB" in their mining rotation setup, and a whole heap of hash got thrown at the chain.  Fast-forward to now and here we are.

That could be part Dobbshield, but I think it may actually have more to do with the performance of vm the home pool is/was running on not being able to keep up either process or banchwidth-wise with everything that was happening so quickly.  Dutch probably wasnʻt noded up well with the main network as well.

As I understand it, you are updating the wallet from 0.10 to 0.16, cleaned (cleaning?) up the code for the update, and this is still scyrpt for the time being.  Correct?  The algo change or whatever comes later?

That is the idea.  Would be nice to just Boom, one release knock out everything.  But that does knock off 0.10 and Android in one fell swoop.  Better to take it in steps.  Get the segwit activated then people can start moving transacting with 0.16.  Should take less than a week for segwit to activate with 2 minute blocks.

I have a node running 0.16...  And it actually has mainnet ready to signal SegWit.....  We are already over 700 blocks into this windows...   we need to catch atleast one full 2016 block period with 95% segwit mined blocks, to fully activate segwit.

Probably need you or Homey to do the honors.  I have no hash.  Well, only a r9 280X...  Which isnʻt shit for scrypt.  Need to get more organized, though.  Really need a new block explorer(it seems to get lost often, and is slow as hell) and home pool.  Really need some well performing core nodes to keep the network strong.  If anyone has some static nodes they plan to keep up and running, we can hard code those in. 

Code: [Select]
coin/dobbscoin/src/dobbscoin-cli getblockchaininfo
{
  "chain": "main",
  "blocks": 367617,
  "headers": 367617,
  "bestblockhash": "96fdeca34e3f7928baf06e4149d1bd367aebbbde7d6eb9dc8769a565b217a115",
  "difficulty": 6.27526081837047,
  "mediantime": 1529167455,
  "verificationprogress": 0.9999788977076166,
  "initialblockdownload": false,
  "chainwork": "00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000207f890ef9bf22",
  "size_on_disk": 206618921,
  "pruned": false,
  "softforks": [
    {
      "id": "bip34",
      "version": 2,
      "reject": {
        "status": true
      }
    },
    {
      "id": "bip66",
      "version": 3,
        "status": false
      }
    },
    {
      "id": "bip65",
      "version": 4,
        "status": false
      }
    }
  ],
  "bip9_softforks": {
    "csv": {
      "status": "started",
      "bit": 0,
      "startTime": 0,
      "timeout": 999999999999,
      "since": 2016,
      "statistics": {
        "period": 2016,
        "threshold": 1916,
        "elapsed": 706,
        "count": 0,
        "possible": false
      }
    },
    "segwit": {
      "status": "started",
      "bit": 1,
      "startTime": 0,
      "timeout": 999999999999,
      "since": 2016,
      "statistics": {
        "period": 2016,
        "threshold": 1916,
        "elapsed": 706,
        "count": 0,
        "possible": false
      }
    }
  },

skammie

• Slack: +2/-0
  • PINK BOY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:07:16 AM »
Probably need you or Homey to do the honors.  I have no hash.  Well, only a r9 280X...  Which isnʻt shit for scrypt.  Need to get more organized, though.  Really need a new block explorer(it seems to get lost often, and is slow as hell) and home pool.  Really need some well performing core nodes to keep the network strong.  If anyone has some static nodes they plan to keep up and running, we can hard code those in.

I don't mind trying it out, but I've never had much success with solo mining BOB.  I'm a gimpy newb but i'm comfortable with the command line, and i know how to use google   8)

What kind of bandwidth would a node see?  I have a VPN I run on Digital Ocean, but there is a bandwidth cap.  I could spare maybe up to 20gb/month for a node.  Again, I might need some hand holding on setting it up, but i promise it wouldn't be too much of a bother.

BtcBob

• Administrator
  • Slack: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 11:20:18 PM »
Brah, why dont you just start from scratch.
Make it what you want it to be, spin me out a gen-block instamine for a little more than currently exist in the crap wallet, and I'll keep the old wallet moving and personally handle a swap/buy out.

Make the changes, slap the PIPE on it - and RELEASE.

IT"S LATER THAN YOU THINK

+-Recent Topics

Econo-Bot SLACK TipBOB by EndCiv
April 26, 2019, 08:58:30 AM

The zSLACK issue by BtcBob
April 24, 2019, 08:47:25 AM

How do I setup a masternode (Quark)? by SharonOnelI
April 21, 2019, 05:10:56 PM

🛸 💰 GET (SLACK) NOW - DobbsCoin v2.0 - Econocalypse (QUARK POW/POS+[MN]) 👽 🛸 by BtcBob
March 20, 2019, 05:26:43 PM

Getting started.. First RUN & Mining by EndCiv
March 14, 2019, 08:23:37 PM

How did I cross-compile a wallet for Windows? by EndCiv
March 14, 2019, 05:11:33 PM

How do I compile a daemon for linux by EndCiv
March 08, 2019, 10:22:20 PM

The Rain in Spain by Prints
March 07, 2019, 01:16:23 AM

Dobbscoin v2.0 RC3 QUARK POW/POS+[MN] - The Econocalypse by Prints
March 07, 2019, 01:06:34 AM

Dobbscoin v2.0 RC2 X11 POW+[MN] = SLACK by BtcBob